Monday, January 4, 2010



Today was our first day back from winter break (just over two weeks long), which naturally means some serious re-adaptation for all the parties involved.  In the long time since I've seen my students, I've forgotten how tiring it is on my voice to talk so much during the day.  And apparently my students have remembered just how much they like talking all day, because that is pretty much what they did... nonstop... the whole period!

All joking aside, it was a pretty good day.  Winter break is a magical time, when somehow illnesses that have been keeping your students from school (or just your class) miraculously heal.  They forget how much they hated you/your class (simultaneously forgetting everything else you've ever taught them) and they might even come back to class and stun you when they proclaim "I missed you!"  Don't tell my students this... but I actually missed them too!

The highlight of my day was definitely my last period class.  They were in a very goofy mood, and we had a lot of fun (and somehow still managed to finish the day's lesson).  They also reminded me about one of the most important life lessons for a teacher... it's ok to smile... sometimes!

I was getting a bit frustrated with the chatter, and I did my usual freeze and stare... but the culprits didn't pick up the hint.  So, Mike (who coincidentally is usually my biggest talker/disruption) turns to look at the girls and yells "Blatant disrespect!" Tasha (who my kids say "has flavor") snappily responds with "I bet you don't even know what that means!" But Mike won this one with the most memorable line of the day... "Ohh, yeah! It means your disrespect is blatant!"

We all had a good laugh, and actually moved on.

You may have noticed that this post so far has nothing to do with reading.  But that's because my day so far had nothing to do with reading.  I got three pages of Nectar in a Sieve read during lunch, and that was the extent of it.  Goal for tonight: Finish at least another 15 pages.


Blogging Day: 4            Days to go: 361

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

Current Reading Challenge

Current Reading Challenge
2010 Global Reading Challenge

My Goodreads Shelf

Ryan's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Followers